From the JCHS Executive Director
We are excited to be moving back into the renovated Truman Courthouse and hope to be open for the public starting Monday, Sept. 30th.
This is an exciting time for JCHS and we hope you can drop by and see us.
We appreciate the hospitality of Commerce Bank which provided us temporary space while the courthouse was being remodeled.
JCHS Administrative Offices
JCHS News and Updates
Amazon.com recently announced it would help support non-profits when customers shop online. The Jackson County Historical Society, along with literally a million other non-profits, can get .5% of each purchase made when you select JCHS and shop through smile.amazon.com where the same extensive online sections are available
Jackson County Historical Society is moving back into the historic Truman Courthouse which was rededicated Sept. 7 in a grand public ceremony. JCHS will have significant space in the courthouse including its administrative offices, a book store, archives, research libraries and provide assistance for the new Jackson County Art Museum.
A new website about the Civil War on the Western Border offers detailed information about the conflict along the Missouri-Kansas border.
This website engages Civil War buffs, scholars, students, and local residents in research and discussion on the Missouri-Kansas Border War that shook the region from 1854 to 1865.
JCHS plans to revive its popular and well-read Jackson County Historical Society Journal with publication of a new edition in late 2013. A new volunteer editorial board has been formed and is looking for articles about Jackson County and the region for a general audience. Manuscripts submissions are welcomed.
A new book, published in collaboration with the Jackson County Historical Society, recounts the devastating impact of the 1863 Order No. 11 which displaces many residents in western Missouri.
The book shares historical research and documentation of victims of Order No. 11 including those who had to enforce martial law.
Independence celebrates the expansion of the Truman National Historic Landmark District with a ceremony dedicating a district historic marker.